Biographical Profile: January 2007
- Five years (‘74-'78) with Ted Hood Yacht Design,
designed large offshore racers/production cruisers.
- 1977 America's Cup; Responsible for Hood's upgrade to
Cup winner COURAGEOUS.
- Started JIM TAYLOR YACHT DESIGNS in November 1978
- Designed, built and successfully campaigned Mini-IOR/MORC/PHRF
- String of successes in both IOR racing and production
cruising markets, 1981- 1987
- Began focus on IMS racing in 1987; TAYLOR 40 pioneered
"grand prix" IMS racing
- Joined America's Cup design team in 1990; America
beat Italy’s IL MORO 4-1 in ’92.
- Designed SABRE 362 and SABRE 402, both Boat of
the Year, with Sabre Yachts design team
- Designed COLGATE 26, Cruising World Boat of the
Year, selected by Naval Academy sailing program
- Racing designs continue to win in top level competition
from New England, to "Olde" England, to Japan.
- Member of ’95 America's design team, this time
for The Women’s Team (MIGHTY MARY)
- IMS 50 NUMBERS. a winner at Key West & SORC, helmed
by Russell Coutts at Admiral’s Cup
- Designed SABRE 452, yet another Boat of the Year
with Sabre Yachts
- Asked to join the Offshore Racing Council’s International
- IMS racer SFORZANDO a 2-time winner of the New York Yacht
Club’s prestigious ‘Herreshoff Award’
- SABRE 426, chosen by Sail Magazine as one of their ‘Top
Ten’ new boats for 2002
- Precision 185
selected as Sailing World Boat of the Year
- International 8-meter class sloop PLEIONE featured in
Wooden Boat and Sailing World magazines
- Designed SABRE 386, still another Boat of the
Year in collaboration with Sabre Yachts
- Designed a total of Six (6) Boat of the Year
Winners, Sailing World Magazine.
- COLGATE 26 Used by the United States Naval Academy, 25
- COLGATE 26 Used by the United States Coast Guard Academy,
- BLACKJACK…..23-ft daggerboard
flat-out racer, startling race record
- GRAVES 37/STARFLIGHT 38…..classic
production cruiser/racer, ahead of her time
- PRECISION 165…..Unique
shoal draft fixed keel family daysailer.
- TAYLOR 38…..Semi-custom racers,
winners first in IOR, then in both IMS and PHRF
- PRECISION 23…..Trend
setting maxi- trailerable, enviable reputation for performance,
over 500 sold.
- TAYLOR 40…..Benchmark semi-custom
IMS racers, 7 built. Japanese T-40 never lost a race!
- ESPRIT…..Innovative 41-ft water-ballasted
custom performance cruiser; lots of blue-water miles.
- TAYLOR 42…..4-time winners at
Block Island Race Week, winner NYYC Herreshoff Trophy for
- PRECISION 18…..Broad
market family cruiser, over 500 sold
- BE-ONE…..43-ft IMS racer, 2nd
at ‘92 Kenwood Cup, winner of Japan’s prestigious
- SABRE 362…..Cruising World’s
’94 ‘Boat of the Year,’
with the Sabre Design Team
- PRECISION 28…..Broad
market racer/cruiser with diesel, rare combination of performance
- STARWIND 19…..Maxi-mini keel/
centerboard for Wellcraft Marine, over 500 sold.
- TAYLOR 41…..instantly successful
"all around racers;" Class winner at ’97
- TEMDEH…..39-ft Custom cruiser,
classic style and state of the art performance; a personal
- TAYLOR 47…..Grand Prix IMS racer,
1st in Class 1 in RORC’s Commodore’s Cup
- DANGER ZONE…..leading-edge 32-foot
wing deck “Sport Boat”, spectacular performer
- SABRE 402…..40-ft racer/cruiser,
Instant classic, Cruising World ’97 overall ‘Boat
of the Year’
- RESOLUTE RACING SHELLS…...Eights/Fours/Doubles
& Singles; winners of numerous collegiate titles
- COLGATE 26…..Performance-oriented
sail trainer and daysailer, another ’97 ‘Boat
of the Year’
- STARWIND 27…..Shoal draft family
cruising diesel inboard for Wellcraft Marine.
- PRECISION 15…..Stable
comfortable family dinghy with over 800 sold.
- NUMBERS…..49 ft Admiral’s
Cupper, winner at Key West, SORC, and NYYC Spring Reg,’97
- SABRE 452…..‘Grand touring’
speed and elegance, yet another ‘Boat of the
- PRECISION 21…..Quick
keel/centerboard family cruiser, over 300 sold.
- SPINDRIFT 22…..Innovative keel/centerboard
with unique interior, over 400 sold.
- SFORZANDO…..Exceptional style
and grace in a winning 44-ft IMS Cruiser/Racer
- SABRE 426…..Especially elegant
and refined production cruiser/racer, among year’s
- INTERNATIONAL 8-METER..Classic style
above waterline, state of the art ‘Meter Boat’
- SABRE 386…..Hot selling performance
cruiser/racer, overall ‘Boat of the Year’
- PRECISION 185…..High
performance CB and Keel, another ‘Boat of
- SABRE “Spirit” 37’…..High
Quality performance daysailor/weekender 2007 Launch
- TRANSIT_380…..An innovative 12.5
foot children’s dinghy as an ideal stepping stone
from Opti to 420.
MORE SMALL BOAT PROJECTS:
Aside from his own “youth” experiences in
sailing small dinghies as well as boats such as Rhodes
19’s, Jim has designed a line of entry level boats
for Precision Boat Works. As one of the very few small
builders in the U.S. that actually employs a noted Yacht
Designer, all of these models, most in production since
the mid 80’s, are renowned for their ergonomically
correct cockpits, good looks and most importantly, their
well mannered sailing traits.
And he still enjoys sailing & racing small boats
personally. He has been ‘hands on' involved with
junior sailing since 1995. Jim has also helped/followed/coached
his own son as he progressed from Opti beginner sailor
to Junior Olympics winner who later became a 2-time high
school state champion.
Jim is very well versed and has first-hand experience
with, and knowledge of, Opti’ s, Bluejays, Widgeon's,
N-10's, Flying Juniors, Tech Dinghies, Mercury's, Larks,
Lasers, and Club 420's.
Although busy with his design studio, he finds time to
be part of the Program Committee and Board of Directors
of the Pleon Yacht Club (A 115 year old 'kids only' club
for ages 9 thru 18) for ten years. Also has personal experience
with kid’s transition from Opti’s to Lasers
and 420's throughout this period. Pleon Yacht Club currently
uses Opti’s, JY-15's (w/short rigs), Lasers and
In addition, Jim was instrumental in starting a junior
sailing program at his home adult club (mainly to handle
over subscription at the Pleon YC), and has been part of
its 'operations committee' since.